Seal of Dane County County of Dane
Dane County Department of Waste & Renewables


The Dane County Department of Waste & Renewables is excited to launch its organics recycling program! The organics program will accept yard waste starting Spring 2025 and food waste starting Summer 2025. Dane County's Rodefeld landfill currently accepts clean brush, logs & branches. 

For other local compost information, please visit our Composting Resources page. For related projects, visit our Sustainability Campus page.

Dane County Department of Waste & Renewables’ Organics Management Grant
The Organics Management Grant is closed for 2024, make sure to check back next year to apply to the 2025 grant cycle!

The Organics Management Grant is intended to help fund projects that reduce or eliminate the volume of organic materials, such as food scraps and yard waste, disposed of at the landfill. Projects that support food waste reduction or creative reuse will also be considered under this grant.

Examples of projects that would be eligible for funds include, but are not limited to:
  • The construction or purchase and set up of on-site systems for collection of food scraps, yard waste, and garden debris for composting. The system must be available for use by all applicant community members or employees.
  • Establishing an on-site compost system for a community, institutional facility or business.
  • Development of an innovative new program to promote and enable efforts to reduce food waste at its source, and/or provide reuse options.

Some examples of project expenses that qualify include the purchase of equipment & supplies, and any printing and fabrication cost. Past projects are available on the Dane County Waste & Renewables’ Composting Resources page.

Each applicant may receive up to $2,500 during this round of funding. More funding may be awarded on a case-by-case basis depending on requests. A total of $10,000 is available in grant funding. Applicants may submit more than one proposal.
Awardees may qualify for reimbursement of up to 75% of the cost of approved project expenses. Awardees may receive credit for in-kind donations of goods, services, or labor to cover the remaining 25% of project expenses.

All Dane County businesses, institutions, municipalities, Native American tribal governments and organizations, community groups, and nonprofit organizations are eligible to apply. 

See the application below for more details:

2024 Organics Management Grant Form



Coming Soon


For businesses or municipalities within Dane County interested in organics diversion, please contact Alex Thomas at or (608) 516-1542 for more information.